What are the parts of Medicare?
Health insurance for people 65 and older. Under 65 with certain disabilities.
Medicare Part A
Medicare Part B
Medical Insurance helps cover medically necessary:
- Doctors’ services
- Outpatient medical and surgical services and supplies
- Clinical lab tests
- Durable medical equipment (may need to use certain suppliers)
- Diabetic testing supplies
- Preventive services (like flu shots and a yearly wellness visit)
- Home health care
- Medicare Advantage is sometimes called Part C—includes both Part A, Part B, and usually Part D
- Private insurance companies approved by Medicare provide your Medicare coverage
- In most MA Plans, you need to use plan doctors, hospitals, and other providers or you pay more or all of the costs (networks)
Prescription Drug Insurance
If you chose Original Medicare and you want prescription drug coverage, you must choose and join a Medicare Prescription Drug Plan. You usually pay a monthly premium.
These plans are run by private companies that contract with Medicare.
Medicare Part D is Medicare prescription drug coverage. Part D coverage is provided through Medicare Prescription Drug Plans (PDPs) and Medicare Advantage (MA) Plans with Medicare prescription drug coverage.
There are some other types of Medicare health plans that provide health care coverage which aren’t Medicare Advantage Plans, but are still part of Medicare, such as Medicare Cost Plans and Programs of All-inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE). Some of these plans provide Medicare Part A and Part B coverage, while others provide Part B coverage only. Some also provide Part D. These plans have some of the same rules as MA Plans as you will see later in this presentation. However, each type of plan has special rules and exceptions, so you should contact any plans you’re interested in to get more details.
We do not offer every plan available in your area. Any information we provide is limited to those plans we do offer in your area. Please contact Medicare.gov or 1-800-MEDICARE to get information on all your options.